Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Exploring the World of Disc Dyeing



Dyeing a disc is something I've been interested in trying for awhile. After reading a bunch of different dyeing threads on DGCR and watching a few videos I decided to finally do it.

I knew going in that RIT had changed its formula a while back and the new stuff wasn't supposed to work as well, but I found some liquid RIT at the closest store to my place so I just bought it to test it myself.

It didn't work.

After reading about this shaving cream dye technique I decided to try it, because it seemed so easy. After my first attempt failed I hopped online and ordered some iDye Poly, since that's the stuff everyone uses now.


I was extremely pleased with myself while washing off the shaving cream. My yellow Flex Avenger SS looks so cool now.

Dyeing is a lot of fun. I'll keep doing it and post the results.

If you've never tried this and are interested here's what I did:

1. I sprayed enough cheap shaving cream to fill a plate evenly into a big bowl.
2. I added a little water to make it creamy then mixed it by hand.
3. I filled the plate and smoothed out top to make it easy to put design on.
4. I mixed cold dye with a little bit of shaving cream in a small bowl.
5. I used an eye dropper to suck up dye mixture and then put lines of dye all over shaving cream bed.
6. I used an old art tool (you can use anything you want) to swirl the dye into a design I was happy with.
7. I placed disc carefully onto bed and didn't push down. I just gently set it on top and then put the plate somewhere nobody could mess with it.
8. After 24 hours I washed the disc and then stood amazed that it worked.

That's it. If you've never taken a stamp off of a disc just use some acetone. Not the nail polish stuff though.

No comments:

Post a Comment